Posted May 21st, 2019 by Fruidel Team
10 Interesting Facts All Strawberry Lovers Should Know..
1. Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen each spring – This year a Welsh fruit grower has broken the record for picking the earliest ever British strawberries grown in glasshouses. They went on sale in supermarkets on the 26 February.
2. Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside
The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them. No wonder it only takes one bite to get seeds stuck in your teeth.
3. Despite their name, strawberries aren’t technically berries – they’re accessory fruits – While we’re getting technical—berries should have seeds inside. Strawberries are really in a group of their own since they don’t come from a single ovary.
4. The seeds can grow into new strawberry plants, but most instead reproduce through runners
5. Strawberries are members of the rose family – Should you come upon a bush of them growing, you’ll see: they smell as sweet as they taste.
6. The ancient Romans thought strawberries had medicinal powers – They used them to treat everything from depression to fainting to fever, kidney stones, bad breath and sore throats.
7. Stop and smell the strawberries! Considered members of the rose family, they give off a sweet fragrance as they grow on bushes.
8. Considered a perennial, strawberry plants will grow back year after year – Although they don’t always grow fruit immediately, once they do, the plants can last up to 5 years.
9. To store fresh strawberries, wash them and cut the stem away – However, if you plan to keep them in the fridge for a few days, wait until before you eat them to clean them. Rinsing them speeds up spoiling.
10. Strawberries can also be pickled – Especially when picked green or unripe. If your berries are overripe, make jam!
Nutritional Benefits of the Strawberry
The heart-shaped silhouette of the strawberry is the first clue that this fruit is good for you.
The strawberry has become one of the national fruits of choice with sales peaking during Wimbledon where everyone enjoys the classic strawberries and cream. Not just a delicious fruit.. strawberries are packed with vitamins, fibre, and particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols, strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food. They are among the top 20 fruits in antioxidant capacity and are a good source of manganese and potassium. Just one serving – about eight strawberries – provides more vitamin C than an orange.
Click here for more interesting fruity facts